EFFECTS OF OVERWEIGHT/OBESITY ON WOMEN

Home Forum Trying to conceive (TTC) EFFECTS OF OVERWEIGHT/OBESITY ON WOMEN

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Aderonke Fameso Afameso 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Some women who are overweight or obese experience hormonal imbalances that can affect their menstrual cycles and prevent ovulation, making it harder to conceive.

Some overweight women have a condition called¬†polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The ovaries don’t produce enough of the hormones that stimulate the egg to mature and be released.
    Women with PCOS also make too much of the hormone insulin, causing the body to release an excess of male hormones called androgens which can interfere with ovulation and make it difficult to get pregnant.

Being overweight can also make it tougher to have a baby through in vitro fertilization (IVF), possibly by affecting the ability of the embryo to implant in the uterus. The exact reason for this is unknown.

The good news is shedding the extra pounds before you try to get pregnant can dramatically improve your odds of conceiving and of having a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks for sharing this with us

Awesome write up. That’s why I truly believe in fitfam. It makes life easier

This was insightful and educative I must say

This is so right, a friend with pcos was told by a doctor that she cannot have her own child, after a while she started working on her body and she came down to 3dress sizes and now she is a mother of 3,so I. What ever we do let’s watch our weight it also triggers blood pressure.

Thanks for sharing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to Log in