Treatment and prevention of vagina cut after delivery

Home Forum Motherhood Treatment and prevention of vagina cut after delivery

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Akintola50 akintola50 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

What are vaginal tears

Vaginal tears are common during childbirth. They occur when your baby’s head is too large for your vagina to stretch around. Women at a higher risk of vaginal tears include:

first-time mothers

mothers whose babies have a high birth weight

mothers who had a long delivery

mothers who had assisted birth, such as with forceps or vacuum

Tears can heal within 7 to 10 days with appropriate treatment. However, you can be sore for a few weeks afterward.

Depending on the severity of the tear, you may receive stitches or prescriptions for medicated creams and ointments.

Home treatment methods

You can expect some discomfort, bleeding, and swelling following delivery and a vaginal tear. There are ways you can relieve this discomfort at home and encourage healing. You should discuss these treatments with your healthcare provider before trying them.

Ice packs

Applying ice packs to the affected area for 10 to 20 minutes at a time can help reduce swelling. Many drugstores sell ice packs that resemble sanitary pads and can be worn in your underwear.

If you use an ice pack, cover it with a clean cloth to protect your skin from the cold. You shouldn’t use an ice pack for more than 20 minutes at a time, as it can cause nerve damage.

Stool softeners

Your healthcare provider may prescribe a stool softener or recommend an over-the-counter stool softener, such as docusate sodium (Colace). This will reduce your need to strain when you have a bowel movement. You shouldn’t resist a bowel movement if you feel the urge to go, as it can lead to constipation.

Staying clean and dry

Your healthcare provider will likely provide you with a squeeze bottle or sitz bath so you can keep your perineal area moist and clean after delivery.

You can put lukewarm water in a squeeze bottle and use it as a rinse after going to the bathroom. Sitz baths are small, plastic tubs that fit over a toilet bowl. You can fill the bath with lukewarm water and sit in it for a few minutes to cleanse your skin.

Rest

It’s hard to rest when you have a new baby but avoiding strenuous exercise can help you heal. Your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you avoid strenuous activity for at least two weeks after giving birth. Accept help from family and friends who offer and stay off your feet as much as possible.

Avoiding products and activities that can worsen your symptoms

You should try to avoid the following:

salt baths

talcum powder and perfumed lotions

applying hot water or hot packs to your perineal area

squatting to keep from stretching your skin too much

sexual activity until healing is complete

tampons, but you can use pads after delivery

douches or vaginal cleansers

Your healthcare provider may give you additional instructions, depending on the type and severity of your tear.

Call your healthcare provider if you experience any of the following symptoms:

foul-smelling discharge

increased pain at the incision site

fever

significant swelling

What are the complications of vaginal tears?

Vaginal tears can be painful and unpleasant but most will heal with rest and a combination of home remedies or treatment by a healthcare provider.

Severe tears are categorized in two ways:

A third-degree laceration is a tear that extends through vaginal tissue, perineal skin, and perineal muscles that extend into the muscles around your anus.

A fourth-degree laceration extends to the anal sphincter and the tissue beneath it.

These severe tears can cause problems with incontinence later.

Infections are possible but unlikely with proper treatment. Signs of infection from vaginal tears include fever or stitches that smell or become painful.

You should contact your healthcare provider if you have:

symptoms of infection

trouble controlling your bowels after a severe tear

intense pain while urinating, or increased frequency of urination

sanitary pads soaked with blood or you’re passing large blood clots

All these one is long story. I had a deep cut during my first delivery. All I was advised to do is to pour hot water inside bucket,  put salt & a cap of detol inside the  hot water,then sit on the vapour for couple of minutes. I did exactly that and my cut healed in less than 5 days

not really hot dear ,have had tear two consecutive time and was advised to use water i will be able to sit on ,not too cold nor too hot with detol and salt and it works perfect and since then i didnt stop i still do it once in like two weeks .

Sitz bath is lukewarm water, salt and disinfectant. It works best

Thanks for sharing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to Log in